NOTE: This review contains SPOILERS. A new episode will be airing Sunday, April 30th (10PM EST) on AMC.
Episode 5: Monkey Leaps Through Mist
Jade (teary-eyed, yet determined) becomes Baron in a ceremony which shows us more of the world of the show. Later, Lydia arrives to see the body of her dead son; she wants to get revenge for his death (just as Jade does).
Quinn is being haunted by the ghost of Ryder; this reminded me of the Macbeth and Banquo dinner party scene in Macbeth. Veil is interrogated by a Clipper for killing the guy that was guarding her and Henry. Her words are NOT convincing though. Later, Quinn threatens the life of her baby (holding small dagger to his throat), so Veil takes extreme measures. She tells him that they can be a family (which is what Quinn wants in his crazed brain) and kisses him! Luckily, she escapes the underground training camp (West Avalon) in the confusion after the explosion at the end of the ep.
Sunny and Bajie are staying at this camp, after impressing its leader, Nos (Marc Rissmann), by showing him the famous sword of Nathaniel Moon. Sunny and Bajie get to eat, wash up, and rest for a while. Nos is NOT a very nice guy, esp. when it comes to his Dolls. Sunny is surprised to see a girl living there w/ her mother- one of the Dolls. (This girl looks like maybe what Veil could’ve looked like when she was younger- tan skin, black curly hair, watchful eyes).
After seeing Sunny fight, a Doll, Portia (Farzana Dua Elahe- co-starrted in A Hundred Foot Journey), asks Sunny for help. Her young daughter (Emilia) will soon be put to the same type of work, unless she gets her out. She begs Sunny to Kill Nos- she will pay. Sunny refuses, saying that he doesn’t kill for money anymore.
Episode 6: Leopard Stalks in Snow
I think the MOST crucial moments of this ep are:
- The (VERY weird) kiss/reunion of Quinn and Lydia- she didn’t stay angry for long!
- The kiss between Tilda and Odessa (the former Doll rescued by The Widow); NOT sure if Odessa is 100% loyal to this cause (from what she says).
- M.K. NOT having his dark powers anymore (or are they under HIS control now)? Later, M.K. and Sunny are reunited in the Christmas-themed park.
- The Widow turning against Veil- she’s now allied w/ Quinn (against the counsel of Waldo, who was Quinn’s Regent for MANY years).
- Sunny being knocked out at the end of the ep by one of the Abbotts- the cliffhanger!