SPOILERS: Don’t read this review if you haven’t seen or don’t want to know details from the latest episode of Game of Thrones.
10) Rickon! –Jaime greets a Lannister ally. / Dickon. -Dickon Tarly corrects him (just before Bronn bursts into laughter).
This will definitely be a fan favorite moment of the ep (LOL)! After the initial joke from Bronn, he, Jaime, and Dickon (younger brother to Sam) have an interesting discussion re: warfare. We see how a “fancy lad” (as Bronn calls Dickon) doesn’t know what to expect from battle, while Bronn had already seen death as a boy.
9) I’ve noticed you staring at her good heart. -Davos says / There’s no time for that. -John replies
Yes, this could sound like fan fiction, BUT the show did it! Also, on 2nd viewing, I noticed that Davos corrected Jon’s grammar w/ “fewer” soldiers NOT “less”; he learned that from Stannis (LOL).
8) Do I have to call you Lady Stark now? -Arya asks / Yes. -Sansa replies.
This is a light-hearted greeting before the two Stark sisters discuss more serious matters in the Winterfell crypt. Sansa should probably get better guards though (LOL). Jon, who was esp. close to Arya growing up, will be VERY happy to see her (YAY)! Notice how Arya wears her hair just like Jon? (Some viewers pointed it out last week.) Ned’s statue doesn’t look quite like him (awww).
7) What you did for her is the only reason I’m not killing you! -Jon says to Theon after he asks after Sansa.
As one critic pointed out, it was a nice moment when Jon looked hurt upon first seeing Theon come ashore at Dragonstone. After all, this was the young man who’d grown up w/ him at Winterfell, yet betrayed the Starks. Then, Jon walked towards him and grabbed him by the throat, showing his anger.
6) Chaos is a ladder. -Bran repeats Littlefinger’s own words back to him
The look on Littlefinger’s face- priceless! That was at the beginning of a speech Littlefinger gave Varys, alone in the throne room of the Red Keep. It’s also GoT’s most famous catchphrases. Littlefinger was clearly hoping to form some connection between himself and Bran, but he got bupkis. I highly doubt he’s “starting to understand” Bran (AKA The Three-Eyed Raven) at all. Bran gives Arya the Valyrian steel dagger; this is the ONLY material which can kill a White Walker (aside from dragonglass).
5) I remember what it felt like to be Brandon Stark. But I remember so much else now. -Bran explains / You died in that cave. -Meera replies
Meera is VERY sad (close to tears) when she comes to say goodbye to Bran. After his emotionless “thank you,” you can tell she’s also angry. Meera says her brother (Jojen), Summer (Bran’s Direwolf), and Hodor ALL died on their journey, BUT Bran can’t give her the kind of response she wants. There is SO much going on inside Bran’s head now, he doesn’t have room in it for social niceties, feelings, etc. Meera concludes that Bran (or at least, his humanity) died in the cave w/ the Three-Eyed Raven. Wow, what a simple (yet great) line!
4) But our stories aren’t over yet. -Arya says / No, their not. -Sansa agrees
These Stark girls have grown up, become more of who they were (Arya is a fighter; Sansa is a lady), and survived difficult journeys. I LOVED this little positive-minded moment, b/c we don’t get many of those on GoT.
3) Who taught you to do that? -Brienne asks / No One. -Arya replies
Fans (esp. women) were VERY excited to see these two strong females sparring- finally! We see Syrio Forel’s influence on Arya’s fighting (awww). Brienne gives her a good fight- they are well-matched. Sansa and Littlefinger are surprised… and maybe also a BIT worried. Arya is a killer, for sure, and she still has a FEW enemies on her hit list.
2) The Children of the Forest and the First Men fought together, despite their differences and suspicions, against the White Walkers. -Jon explains to Dany
Hmmm… weren’t those cave paintings a BIT too on the nose? Some viewers thought it was spelled out TOO clearly.
1) Isn’t their survival more important than your pride? -Dany asks Jon
Will Jon “bend the knee” b/c it could save The North? Why are these two SO stubborn! I don’t yet see (romantic) sparks between Jon and Dany, BUT I do see sympathy and mutual respect. Are they truly BOTH of Targaryen blood, being nephew and aunt? We shall have to wait and see!