SPOILERS: Don’t read this review if you have not yet seen or don’t want to know details from Season 5, Episode 2 of Game of Thrones.
5) The moment I was MOST awaiting was seeing Doran Martell (Alexander Siddig, who you may know from his role as Dr. Julian Bashir on Star Trek: Deep Space Nine), the king of Dorne. In the gorgeous water gardens, Doran, the older brother of Prince Oberyn Martell, is sitting down b/c he suffers from gout (you can see the pain on his face in the quiet moments). What an actor… and he’s still handsome and trim!
“Yes, he was my brother… long before he was anything to you!” Doran reminds Ellaria Sand (Indira Varma, now w/ her own CUTE curly bobbed hair) when she goes off on him re: getting revenge for Oberyn’s death. Ellaria (who even looks amazing in mourning) wants to kill Myrcella, who’s betrothed to the king’s son, and “send her piece by piece” to Cersei. Yikes! However, Oberyn wasn’t murdered; he died in combat (as Doran points out).
4) All of Brienne’s fight scenes w/ Littlefinger’s men- I LOVED how it was all shot, too! Sansa doesn’t know Brienne, so she refused her protection. She’ll stick with the devil she knows (Littlefinger). Hmmm… what’s with that “marriage proposal” talk?
3) Guess who’s (FINALLY) back? The Faceless Man AKA Jaqen H’gar (Tom Wlaschiha)! He’ll be a mentor to Arya Stark (Maisie Williams), as many viewers suspected. We gals want to see more Jaqen, right?
2) Dany has the young (and VERY adorable) former slave/advisor beheaded after he kills one of the Sons of the Harpy (awaiting trial in jail). His fellow former slaves hiss and throw rocks at Dany, who’s whisked away by the Unsullied.
Later that night, Drogon comes to vist her for a moment before flying off.
1) “He may be young, but he’s the commander we turned to when the night was darkest,” Sam said of Jon, who becomes (by 1 vote- Maester Aemon’s) Lord Commander. YAY! Many of his fellow men LOVE him, after all…